Keep "In God We Trust!"

  • Rick Scarborough
  • May 27, 2009

Currently MSNBC.com is running a poll to which almost fifteen million Americans have responded. They posed the question, "Should the motto 'In God We Trust!' remain on U.S. currency?" An overwhelming 88% responded with YES, stating that the "motto has historical and patriotic significance and does nothing to establish a state religion." The remaining 12% voted no, noting that it violates the principle of separation of church and state.

The Supreme Court is right now determining the constitutionality of a cross erected in the Mojave Desert in honor of WWI veterans. The Veterans of Foreign Wars erected the cross on land that they previously owned but donated to the government in 1934. Now that the cross stands on government property it is considered in violation of the principle of separation of church and state. Currently it stands covered by a plywood box while it awaits the Supreme Court's decision.

The principle of separation of church and state is grossly misunderstood in our nation. It was never intended to be the justification for removal of all things that reflect God from our government and country. The phrase was originally taken from an exchange of letters between President Thomas Jefferson and the Baptist Association of Danbury, Connecticut, shortly after Jefferson became President.

The Baptists expressed concern to the President that the government might someday try to put limits on the free exercise of religion. Thomas Jefferson felt strongly that the government had no right to restrict, regulate or interfere with religious expression and made many declarations against such government intrusion into the citizens' right to worship as they freely chose. He had been witness to the government's unhealthy tendency to infringe on freedom of religion. He also made it abundantly clear that he understood that those very freedoms were a gift from God:

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have lost the only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath?"

Jefferson believed that the First Amendment had been enacted to prevent the federal establishment of a national religion, not to remove all semblance of God from the face of American society.

The MSNBC poll reveals that there are many Americans who feel that we are one nation under God and to declare it recognizes our history and the intention of those who fought so hard to preserve our freedom to worship as we choose.

Edmond Burke is credited with saying, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Select here to fax every member of Congress and express your support of keeping "In God We Trust" on our currency.

Select here to contact President Obama, your elected U.S. officials and state officials and express your feelings on this issue: http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml.

Select here to become a partner of Vision America. Select here to make a one-time donation.

Thank you in advance for your generous support!

Rick's Photo - Bio Pic

 

I remain...Your servant and friend,

RS_sig
Pastor Rick Scarborough




Fear the Lord and judge with integrity, for the Lord our God does not tolerate perverted justice, partiality, or the taking of bribes.   2 Chronicles 19:7

Vision America Action - www.VisionAmericaAction.org

 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button